Oil-Free Oat Berry Muffins!
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 cup flour of choice(I used an ancient grain spelt/red fife flour. These have less gluten than all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 cup blueberries and chopped strawberries mixed, fresh or frozen
1. Heat the oven to 400º F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners
2. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and oats. Let soak for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg with a fork. Add brown sugar, milk & oat mixture and the applesauce to the egg.
5. Gently fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and strawberries last.
6. Fill the muffin tins ⅔ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. (Mine were perfect at 18, depends on your oven).
7. Remove onto a wire rack to let cool before storing in an air-tight container!