Yields about 3 cups using 1 sweet potato and 1 beet (Double ingredients to yield more chips, they go fast!)
These are a healthier and cheaper alternative to the store-bought veggie chips, but they taste just as good! Baking these root vegetables really brings out the flavour, all you need is salt, no extra spices required.
Start by preheating the oven to 250 degrees F and then peel and rinse the sweet potatoes and beets. Next you have to slice them super thin. The trick to getting the best, crispiest chips is to slice them as thin as possible, and the easiest and safest way to do this is with a mandolin, trust me it makes a huge difference. Choose the appropriate blade for cutting into round, chip shapes and slice away.
Next, place the sliced veggies into a bowl and coat them in a good later of olive oil. Really mix them around to make sure they’re all coated. Next add salt, pink Himalayan sea salt is the best and has many health benefits! Again, make sure to coat each chip.
Once all the chips are evenly coated, place them on baking trays lined with parchment paper. Make sure not to layer or overlap the chips or they won’t bake properly. It can take up to half an hour or longer depending on how crispy you want them. Keep checking them every once in a while and only remove once they’ve browned and/or become crispy!
Once you’re sure they’re done, remove from the trays, let cool and enjoy! Be sure to store the chips in an airtight container.
- 1 Sweet potato
- 1 beet
- Olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Peel and rinse sweet potato and beet
- slice vegetables into extremely thin slices (I recommend a mandolin or other similar kitchen tool for this step)
- place chips in a bowl and coat evenly with olive oil
- add desired amount of sea salt and mix, ensuring every chip is coated.
- Place chips on lined baking trays, making sure not to overlap or layer the chips
- bake for at least half an hour, keep baking until crispy (they will likely start to brown, you will have to feel to make sure they are crispy).
- Once fully crisp, remove and let cool. Store in an airtight container