I tried this recipe the other day from wholenewmom.com and loved it! It’s a yummy, healthy substitute if you’re craving Doritos, Smartfood or just some sort of salty and savoury, and it’s super easy to make!
Makes about 6-8 cups
- 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
- 2 -3 Tbsp coconut oil for popping
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (you can buy it in most grocery stores, you can read more about its benefits and uses here: what the heck is nutritional yeast)
1 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
1 teaspoon onion powder or granules (I didn’t have any so I left it out and it tasted fine!)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chilli powder(this adds a bit of a spiciness to it so use less for a milder flavour, or more you like things hotter)
1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 teaspoons salt
- If using a pot, melt coconut oil first before adding the kernels. The recipe will not work without the oil as it is needed to allow the spices to stick to the popcorn once it’s popped.
- Combine all spices, and salt in a blender or coffee grinder (I used the magic bullet) and blend until it becomes a fine powder.
- Sprinkle seasoning over popcorn and toss to coat. Also works well to shake in a closed container or bag to ensure everything is evenly covered. Enjoy!